A Presidential Experience in County Louth
Did you know – President Joe Biden is the only person who holds the ‘Freedom of Louth’. With a reputation for citing Irish poets, proverbs and myths in all his speeches Joe Biden is known as the most Irish of Presidents since Kennedy.
Joe Bidens Maternal Irish Heritage
- Edward Blewitt was Joe Biden’s great-great-grandfather. Born in 1795 in Ballina in Co Mayo and died in 1872, Edward worked as an ordnance surveyor.
- He had 4 Children – his daughter Geraldine was married to Ambrose Finnegan
- Geraldine and Ambrose Finnegan – had a daughter Catherine Finnegan
- Catherine Finnegan – was Joe Bidens mother.
- In 1850 Patrick Blewitt (Joe Bidens great-great-great-grandfather) moved to the United States. One year later he returned to Ireland to bring his parents, brothers, and sisters to America.
- 1860 the Blewitt family had settled in Pennsylvania.
- Owen Finnegan, Biden’s great-great-grandfather from the Cooley Peninsula in Louth, left for America in 1840.
- Owen Finnegan’s son James Finnegan was the father of Ambrose Finnegan. Joe Biden’s grandfather.
- They settled in Seneca, New York in the 1850s. After Owen’s death, James Finnegan, moved to Scranton, Pennsylvania to settle, where the Blewitts were, and the two families met.
Located between the cities of Dublin and Belfast, County Louth boasts some of Ireland’s most breathtaking scenery and vibrant urban culture with the finest culinary experiences and music. Known as the Land of Legends, County Louth has years of history, myth and legends.
For a truly rich Presidential Experience why not explore all that County Louth has to offer during your stay at The Fairways Hotel, Dundalk.
Visit Dundalk, just a short 10-minute drive from The Fairways Hotel a thriving town rich in history, social experiences, and culture. Panama Café, one of Dundalk’s best coffee spots can be found in Market Square where you can enjoy imported coffee from South America and sweet desserts while relaxing and enjoying the outdoor public art and water fountains.
Explore the Joe Bidens family history and visit the beautiful Cooley Peninsula. Where you will find a stunning coastline, mountains, and picturesque scenery. Visit the Kilwirra Cemetery and pay respects to the President’s late ancestors. Before moving on to your next adventure in County Louth be sure to pop into Lily Finnegans traditional Irish pub, where you can enjoy a pint and a bit of banter.
The Carlingford Louth Greenway is built along an old railway line on Carlingford Lough’s southern shore and connects Omeath and Carlingford. With great views, grazing sheep, pretty bridges and old-level crossings. this Greenway is ideal for walkers and cyclists of all levels, even kids. Carlingford is a charming village known its traditional Irish music sessions, medieval streets and Carlingford Oysters.
From Omeath to Drogheda one can discover County Louth’s beautiful coastline, coastal towns and villages such as Blackrock, Annagassan or Clogherhead.
As you make your way down the coast be sure to explore Drogheda. Where you will find the Norman Fort towers playing host to one of Ireland’s finest museums Drogheda Museum Millmount. You will also find the shrine of Oliver Plunkett at St Peters Church.